June Gloom

The rabbit said it all, "I'm late, I'm late for a very important date." Lately, it seems like it's been my motto. I've been currently out of the whole blogging loop for awhile now, it's unfair to disappear on the radar like that. Life has been hectic lately, and it seems I can't even sit down and write in my journal, like i've been doing since i was 13. I'm on my fourth one, and it makes me sad that my baby is getting neglected.

Anyways, enough about my journal sob stories. Photography wise i haven't done much either, it seems work and play has overtaken my life and i don't even have time to stop to do what i love. I've done an event every now and again, but portraits have been shoved aside. I want to get back to it, and hopefully at some point..i can. The following are some things i've been up to since i last posted, though nothing is in chronological order, nor are they EVERYTHING i've done.


Cabos Cantina - Funnel Head Show - Singer: Italix

This band was amazing, and i loved them. I know, i'm being biased considering they're friends of mine,  but it doesn't change the fact that i like they're music and what they stand for. They want to bring people in no matter the race, background or status together and listen to one sound with one heart.

I've known this for quite awhile not, but i'm going to tell you anyways. I have one distinct style when it comes to portrait and events. Obviously they won't be strikingly similar, but i use the same concept. When i do events like the one you see above, i always wait for the right moment. I don't just snap photos mindlessly. When the moment comes, i see it then i shoot a frame.  The whole room was dark and a only a few lights were on so it practically made it difficult to take a nice shot. I noticed that the strobes would kick in every few minutes and planned accordingly. Right when those lights hit the singer, i snapped around 15 photos in a few seconds. Similarly, when i do portraits, i get my angle perfect and have the model freeze for a few seconds so i could snap a few shots. I wait till i have the sun at the perfect angle and snap. For both portraits and events, i try not to use flash. It only washes out the natural colors that are already there. The only time i ever use it is i'm doing crowd shots, like walking around events.


Luz Clothing - Model: Pauline Monillas - APAC Fashion Show 2012

Tahitian Dancing - APAC Fashion Show 2012



I was honored to take photos at this event after their Vice President asked me to help with the fundraiser. All proceeds went to Pusong Pinoy and i couldn't be anymore prouder. This event was well organized and exceptionally planned, everything was properly placed and everyone knew their cue. When i arrived i saw that another photographer from Pusong Pinoy was setting up his LARGE strobe lights and multiple external strobes around the event. I said, hmm wonder how annoyed people are going to be by the lights. They were all aimed from the back and one HUGE one in the front. He was holding a 70-200mm lens, which isn't cheap at all. It's a nice lens. He had a canon like me, probably the same model too. The only problem was i don't think he understood the concept of 'understanding your surroundings'. I didn't move from my spot (which i totally should have, but decided not to block anyone's view), I also didn't use any flashes, like i always do. I took a few test shots before and the lighting on stage was perfect and didn't need it. I used a 80-200mm (an old model). The only problem was once the models got to the end of the long catwalk i wouldn't be able to shoot them because of the terrible lighting. My solution: take a photo before they get on the catwalk..problem solved! It turned out nice, and crisp. What i learned: just because you have a nice lens, or a million strobes it doesn't make your work any fancier.